Hey everyone! 🙂 I’ve been meaning to write this since forever ago but between traveling, the holidays, ministry and my little 9 month old, I’m swamped! Thanks for your patience as I am tryin’ to blog as much as I can!
And this blog also applies to anyone who isn’t married– not just long distance loves! 🙂
I’m not sure if you’re aware or not, but my now husband and I were long distance for 1 year and 7 months before we got married. People think for some reason that just because you’re long distance, doesn’t mean that you aren’t tempted. If ANYTHING, the desires BUILD up and then when you see each other, you REALLY miss one another. This is why it’s even more important to stay focused on Christ while courting. I want to share a bit of our story & what we did and encourage all of you who are in relationships long distance.
Let’s be real on this thing. First and foremost, both parties need to be CHRISTIANS. Ya’ll have to be saved, lovin’ Jesus and really live for Him. Because if you aren’t then convenience will tempt you to cheat on your boyfriend or girlfriend because you have no standards. A relationship long distance CAN work if two people are willing to work at it. If your FLESH is running your life, I can assure you that it won’t work out. Being long distance encourages communication because all you DO is TALK. If you hate communication & you aren’t willing to put the work in, then, it most likely didn’t work for you & whoever you were in a relationship with at the time. And trust me, you will need those communication skills once married. That season was totally WORTH it.
My now hubby lived in Atlanta and I lived in New York when we started courting. Due to his job, we were able to see each other on average of twice a month. When I traveled to Atlanta, I would stay in a hotel (the first 8 months) and then I stayed in his house and he stayed with a married couple for accountablity. When it was time to drop me off after we spent time together, he didn’t walk me to my hotel room, he dropped me off right at the entrance. WHY put yourself in compromising situations by staying under the same roof? And please, lets stop staying under the same roof & say “we are in different rooms.” What about that ONE night where you missed him or her SO much.. that you slept-walked your tail right into their bed & OOPS, while nobody was looking walked right into sex outside of marriage. Someone is always looking and that is Christ.
Let me break down cohabitation really quick because a certain famous singer said it was ok on TV to live together before marriage. It ain’t biblical. Sexual immorality is condemned in about 25 passages in the New Testament. The Greek word for cohabitation is porneia, a word which includes all forms of illicit sexual intercourse. Jesus taught, “For from within, out of men’s hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and make a man ‘unclean'” (Mark 7:21-23).
Paul said, “It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God” (1 Thess. 4:3-5).
Marriage is God’s plan. Marriage provides intimate companionship for life (Gen. 2:18). It provides a context for the procreation and nurture of children (Eph. 6:1-2). And finally, marriage provides a godly outlet for sexual desire (1 Cor. 7:2).
(This is me & the now hubby when we were just courting. He would meet me right inside the entrance of the Westin. It’s so cool that we now hold the Pinky Promise Conferences at the Westin. This was April of 2009!)
1 Corinthians 10:13 says:
The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.
- All types of evil
- Sexual sins
- Tempting situations
1. I opened up a Pinky Promise Boutique!!! Think modest, fashionable, affordable clothes for women! Check it out via www.pinkypromiseboutiques.com
2. We have developed an APP! Think: daily post notifications + weekly devotionals, recipes and so much more! It’s out NOW for iphones + Androids. Under Heather & Cornelius Lindsey: Today With the Lindsey’s
3. If you live in Atlanta, I want to invite you to our church. Join us on Sundays at 11:00am at Landmark Art Cinemas. Our churches name is: “The Gathering Oasis” 931 Monroe Drive NE Atlanta, GA.
4. My book is selling like crazy! I’m so thankful for all of you that have supported! Check it out here: My New Book! Pink Lips & Empty Hearts: www.PinkLipsAndEmptyHearts.com AND my new book, “A Perfect Recipe” here!
5. Register for the 2014 Pinky Promise in Atlanta, GA! It sold out last year, so you don’t want to miss out!www.pinkypromiseconference.com
6. As always, you can join a Pinky Promise group locally! There’s about 17,000 ladies that have joined! Find a group near you by joining & checking out the intro page! Join here:www.PinkyPromiseMovement.com
God loves you like crazy,