I know that Valentine’s Day just passed and I pray that you didn’t measure it by the gifts you received or didn’t receive or if you’re single or not. I recall one year, my now-husband didn’t get me the gift I wanted him to get me for Valentine’s Day. I know it sounds stupid, but I was mad. I felt like he should have put more thought into the gift. And, it showed on my face. I’m confident that He easily felt like “nothing is ever good enough for Heather.” And He was right. I grabbed ahold of that discontentment I struggled with during my single life and brought it with me into my engagement.
Then, the Holy Spirit immediately checked my spirit. Heather, you’re selfish.
How am I selfish Lord??! Because I want him to put more effort?
“Heather, how did you gauge his effort? By your own standards of what you think you need?”
I mean, come on, Lord. We are engaged.
“Heather, you have once again made things about you. Have you considered Cornelius at all? What about what you didn’t get him? And, isn’t he one you prayed for?”
And, in that moment, I realized that just 2 years before that, I spent Valentine’s Day alone.
And, I was fine with it. I was finally content in the Lord and learning how to trust His timing. Hey, that contentment only took about 7 years. I sent myself some flowers because I loved that they added some joy to my dining room but I was good. I prayed for my future husband and I refused to make it an idol. I assured God often that if He sent me a husband, then I would always appreciate him.
So, at one point did I become this critical woman where I judged gifts? How silly of me? God sent me a guy that wouldn’t kiss me until my wedding day and now I am rolling my eyes at his flowers, poem, gifts and the love he has shown me.
So, whether yesterday was the reality of your beautiful singleness or whether you didn’t feel like your man put in enough effort, I want you to focus on what is going WELL in your life. At times, we can become such an entitled generation. Wanting what want, when we want it – and not bothering to look at what we are bringing to the table of any relationship.
That day, I decided to create a list of the good things that the Lord was doing in me.
1. The fact that He saved me and that I hear His voice.
2. I have an amazing fiance who honors me.
3. I have a great job in NYC.
4. I am a leader at my church
5. I have a sound mind.
6. I have a place to stay and I am comfortable.
7. I have a wonderful family
8. I have a amazing friends
AND.. that list went on & on!
So, after the Lord checked my heart, I decided that I needed to renew my mind. I told my now husband that he doesn’t have to get me gifts because Hallmark says it’s time to get gifts and let’s find a way to give back to people in need. So, that next Valentines Day, we went to a low-income nursing home and we brought a ton of food, gifts and games. It was the BEST Valentines Day EVER! AND, it wasn’t about US. I have learned that as a believer, I cannot pick and choose when I am going to be selfish.
And, just a few things.
1. Be sure to register for the Pinky Promise Conference! We have SOLD out of every conference since day 1! Make sure you plan early and attend the annual “sleepover” lol www.pinkypromiseconference.com.
If you need a roomie, head on over to www.pinkypromisemovement.com and click on the roommate forum.
2. Desiring to publish a book, or do you need tips with entrepreneurship? Me & my husband host a Youtube Channel called, Lincross Academy where we talk ALL things publishing, professional do’s & don’t’s, writers block and SO much more! Find it HERE.
3. I just uploaded a new video onto my youtube channel, titled Learning How To Be Faithful with Little. I pray that you watch it if you’re struggling with being faithful with small things.
4. And, just a reminder that I’m headed to Washington, DC next week! (Feb 25th). It’s free! We will be at the First Baptist Church of Glenarden Ministry Center in Landover, MD, 20785. It starts at 6:30pm! We would LOVE to meet you!
5. London & Capetown, we are coming your way! Join us for the Revival Tour in Capetown, SA on May 27th and in London on June 2-3, 2017! Join us by registering HERE.
6. Lastly, our church venue as MOVED! We are currently at the Marriott at the Galleria in Smyrna, GA until the beginning of March 2017. We will share our new venue after that time!
God loves you like crazy!
|Dubai Feb 2017|