In the world of social media, it’s so easy to become jealous of other people. The Internet can absolutely make you feel like you’re behind. It seems like everyone is super happy, everyone has the perfect lighting, the perfect husband, the perfect life, the perfect clothes, the most well-behaved children, the perfect home cooked meals every night, the perfect ministry or whatever else. It may seem like everyone has the perfect Pinterest life and meanwhile, you are over there, struggling with your portion. I challenge and urge you today, to look at your own heart and see if there are any seeds of jealousy and bitterness towards anyone.
I have learned that being jealous starts with a small seed being planted and then it grows into a harvest that accuses and becomes jealous of others.
For example, when I was in college, a beautiful dark-skinned woman came up to me and said, “I don’t like you because you are light skinned, with light eyes and long hair.” And, she walked away.
I stood there stunned. Wait, huh? I am SO nice!! Why wouldn’t you like me? I realized in that moment that maybe experienced some hurt with someone who looked somewhat like me in the past. So, she slowly became jealous of me because of the way that I looked. I’m thinking, “Honey, I didn’t sign up for this – I was literally born this color. She would roll her eyes at anything that I said and it wasn’t even because of me, but because of the way I looked. I knew that her not liking me was not a reflection of me, but a reflection of her. I didn’t do anything to her. And, in her own life, that seed of jealousy was planted in her heart from the past grew a harvest. Over time, I got an opportunity to speak with her and we started to get to the root of the problem. It turns out her boyfriend left her for someone that looked like me and she felt that the way I looked was more favorable than the way she looked. I stood there stunned.
“You are BEAUTIFUL! From the top of your head to the soles of your feet! You have NO reason to be jealous of ME or of anyone else!”
You know when you’re jealous of someone because every single thing that they do becomes irritating to you. You try to pick them apart and find something not to like about that person. You go from tolerating them, to accusing them and becoming suspicious of that person. You rationalize your thoughts because “you know that something just ain’t right.” Then, you are convinced that your opinion of that person is what God really thinks about that person.
Do you know that God has NOTHING to do with your negative thoughts and accusations towards that person? The DEVIL himself is coming to kill, steal and to destroy your life. If he can cause more confusion and division between you and a sister in Christ – he has succeeded. Are you taking the BAIT from satan? Some of us willingly walk up to him and take the bait and end up hating everyone all because jealousy and envy stuck its ugly head into our relationships.
Now, I am here for being discerning when it comes to people as we are led by the Holy Spirit. There’s a huge difference between being Holy Spirit led and being led by our feelings or opinions towards that person.
What does jealousy do?
- Jealousy robs you from relationships and it keeps you from being content with what God has called you to do. Jealousy says, “I don’t look like that and I cannot do it like her so I measure myself against her and I deem myself as not enough.”
- Jealousy ruins your confidence because you place your hope in what you can see and not who God called you to be.
- Jealousy is a sin. And if God hates it, we should too.
- Jealousy makes you feel discontent with your portion which means that you will never be satisfied with who you are.
- Jealousy is dangerous because the more you compare your life to others, the more you will focus on what you are not and you will stay in that place for the rest of your life. Some people continue to go around the “I hate everyone” mountain and will look at 50 years old, still tearing people apart with their thoughts and words.
When I think about the story of the woman I met in college, my heart breaks. How many of us see ourselves in her? So, instead of celebrating others, you seek ways to tear others down. Instead of bringing peace, you create drama and confusion online and in your own life to make you feel better about your hate.
The devil himself became jealous and envious of God and wanted to be him. He no longer was satisfied in being the beautiful angel that God created him to be. Pride slipped into his heart and it’s shown here in Isaiah 14:12–14
Do you see all of those I’s. I WILL be like this. I will do that. I, I, I. Selfishness and bitterness is all wrapped up in “I.” Life because all about YOU and how YOU feel. Meanwhile, the Holy Spirit is saying in 1 Corinthians 13:4 .. Love is patient. It’s kind. It’s not boastful, proud or rude. It’s not JEALOUS.
So, if we know that jealousy is not from God – it’s clearly from the devil and his selfish ways.
If you’re struggling with jealousy, I want to pray with you.
“Father, in the name of Jesus – we bind that spirit of jealousy right now in Jesus name. We declare that any seed of bitterness, envious, covetousness, anger, hate or wrath is being uprooted right now and cast away. We thank you God that we walk in love, peace, joy and comfort of the Holy Spirit. We are excited about our portion and we will guard our hearts from that spirit moving forward, in Jesus name, Amen.
Just a few things:
1. Find my (6) books (including my NEW book, “Silent Seasons- Trusting God when you don’t understand”), purity rings, shirts & all that good stuff via www.pinkypromiseboutiques.com!
2. We have developed an APP! Think: daily post notifications + weekly devotionals, recipes and so much more! It’s out NOW for iphones + Androids. Under: Heather & Cornelius Lindsey: Today With the Lindsey’s
3. If you live in Atlanta, I want to invite you to our church. Join us on Sundays at 10:30am. Our churches name is: “The Gathering Oasis” 215 W Wieuca Rd NW Atlanta, GA 30327 – The Galloway School in the Amiptheater
4. Register for the 2017 Pinky Promise in Atlanta, GA! It sold out last year so you don’t want to miss out! We are almost SOLD OUT! www.pinkypromiseconference.com
5. As always, you can join a Pinky Promise group locally! There’s about 50,000 ladies that have joined! Find a group near you by joining & checking out the intro page! Join here: www.PinkyPromiseMovement.com
God loves you like crazy,
|Ahh! My NEW BOOK!|